In recent weeks, three construction workers have been injured in seperate construction accidents at Ground Zero.
The first accident occured May 22, when a 26-year-old worker was injured while a hose pumping material into a retaining wall under construction, broke loose and struck him in the head and torso. He is still in a coma, said a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York.
The cause of the accident is being investigated by the Labor Department’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
On June 25, while working at the site, a Port Authority employee fell off a ladder hurting his hand. And on June 22 an ironworker tripped and broke his ankle during work on the new transit hub.
The number of construction workers at the site in recent months has doubled to more than 600 people a day, working on a 1,776-foot skyscraper, a $2.1 billion transit hub, a memorial to the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks and preparing foundations for more office towers.
A study last year by OSHA reported a sharp increase in the number of construction deaths citywide, and injuries have increased during a massive building boom in the city, industry officials said.